Main Article Content
This study comes from the theme of World Customs Organization “Trade facilitation initiatives and intergovernmental schemes of customs community have been providing logistics enterprises with many opportunities to join effectively and profitably in the integrated supply chains all over the world” (World Customs Organization, 2016). Authorized Economic Operator (AEO) and AEO Mutual Recognition Agreements (AEO MRAs) are the security and trade facilitation initiatives aiming to enhance global trade security and foster business competitiveness in many countries. In principle, this initiative helps well-regulated enterprises to gain priorities in trade and supply chain operations provided that they adequately meet the criteria of the AEO program. However, the Vietnamese logistics companies cannot gain benefits from the AEO program due to specific requirements of doing international trade transactions like very high exports and imports turnover as well as big volume of customs declarations. That is why there is no Vietnamese logistics company who has been granted AEO status by the end of 2018 (GDVC, 2018). This study aims to figure out the reality that the Vietnam’s current AEO program is highly challenging the Vietnamese logistics companies.
authorized operator, logistics, trade facilitation, standards
2. Do Xuan Quang (2015), Facts of Vietnamese logistics companies in the context of international integration, Vietnam Logistics Forum.
3. General Department of Vietnam Customs (2016), AEO implementation report, Vietnam AEO Assessment Workshop.
4. General Department of Vietnam Customs (2018), General Report of 2018 and orientation for 2019, the 2019 Annual Meeting of General Department of Vietnam Customs.
5. Ly Huy Tuan (2010), Strategy, Master Plan and Policy on Vietnam Transport Development to the years 2020 - 2030, Transport Publishing House, Hanoi.
6. Phan Thi Thu Hien (2017), AEO program and expectation of AEO MRA with EU: Target and implementation of the Vietnam’s trade facilitation progress, Proceedings of the International Conference in Hanoi, Vietnam, March 2017: Trade Facilitation from experience of EU and lessons for Vietnam.
7. Phan Thi Thu Hien (2017), “Enhancing international trade benefits of Vietnam in relation to AEO provision on Trade Facilitation Agreement of WTO|”, International Economics Review, No98.
8. Trinh Thi Thu Huong, Phan Thi Thu Hien (2015), “Trade Facilitation Agreement of WTO: Opportunities and threats to Vietnam”, International Economics Review, No72.
9. Trinh Thi Thu Huong, Phan Thi Thu Hien (2016), “International Trade transaction and Customs formality performance criteria: Case of Vietnam”, International Economics Review, No.82.
10. World Bank (2018), Logistics Performance Index, World Bank: https://lpi.worldbank. org/, Accessed on 11 Jan 2019.
11. World Customs Organization (2018), COMPENDIUM of Authorized Economic Operator Program, WCO: http://www.wcoomd.org/-/media/wco/public/global/ pdf/topics/facilitation/instruments-and-tools/tools/safe-package/aeo-compendium. pdf?la=en. Accessed on 1 May 2019.